Sunday, March 15, 2009

The book thief by Markus Zusak

Hello, my name is Gina and I am an addicted fiction reader. Nice to meet you.

The Book Thief is a book that actually strikes a little close to home. (Since mom is German and actually has some of the same memories as those portrayed in the book.) It is a story of a girl in Nazi Germany. The book is told from the perspective of Death. Yes, The Grim Reaper. It gives an interesting, omnipresent, perspective. The author was able to take some liberties by choosing to write from this perspective. Very good book and something a little different from what Kandis and I have been reading. Quite a bit of history involved. Although this isnt a true story, you know that these things actually happened.
This is almost something that should be considered for college graduation requirements. Good writing, very good writing. It was a total tear jerker for me. But hey, I am a crier anyway. I can tear up at a good Hallmark commercial. I was completely sobbing at a couple of points in the book. I mean, I had to get a dishtowel, because tissues were not cutting it. But it is summed up in the end and you are not totally depressed. It does end pretty well. WWII was ugly and there is no getting around that, but happiness can come from anything.
I don't want you to think that it is a depressing, educational type. It wasn't like that for me. It was a great story about the life of a little girl (any little girl) in Germany during hard times. Her trials and her triumphs.
Short version.... Recommended for anyone.
Kandis here...
i agree with Gina's review and have no idea why i bothered to login, edit post to tell you that but I felt compelled to. I too cried ,no sobbed, for the main character Leisel. Actually I cried for her, Grandma (Gina's mom), and every other decent human being that had to live through WWII Germany. This book truly made me stop and think about the price and effect of war especially that of those on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment